Friday, July 8, 2011

a disappointing day

It has been one heck of a day. It started with the little guy and me going to breakfast together and then going to school. I was so excited about to get to school today and work some more, but...a sign that said "do not enter WAXING". I was so irritated. So I decided that I was going to go to Target to see what was new at the $1 section...My husband is going to kill me pretty soon. I bought bins for the kiddos lockers so they have a place to keep their checkbook and stuff. Oops, I just realized I didn't post yesterday, so I should share what happened yesterday.

My wonderful husband let me have the day to work in my classroom. I had a map and a plan ready to attack the room. My goal was to get the meeting area/library all done and the general set up of the room. I took pics so I could share some of the ideas I had on the way:

IMAG0167.jpg

This is a mailbox my mom's friend painted. I didn't know what I wanted to do with it so I brought it to my classroom. I realized that it would be perfect for my para. When the flag is up, there is something in there to do...ie mail, copying, center work, something. It's cute and in a place where she will (hopefully) see it.

IMAG0173.jpg

These are supposed to be mailboxes for the kids, but this year I am going to use the top as my area - telephone, radio, pointers, etc. The slots will contain their clipboard, mini office, dictionary...not really sure but I want it to contain tools that they can use NOT a clutter keeper.

IMAG0176.jpg

So this will be my writing area. The yellow hutch is something my grandpa made for my mom when she was a little girl. I played house with it and the hope of my mom was that I would have a little girl, but alas, I had a boy. Instead, I will put writing materials in there, not sure what yet, but writing materials.

IMAG0178.jpg

In the past I have used the card flipping behavior charts, my father in law made me a stop sign with the behavior colors. I have struggled with where to put it, how to deal with it, etc. So I saw this on a blog this week (one in my favs...so bad at remembering where). It's on a clipboard. Mini clips. I am going to try it this year and see how it goes.

IMAG0175.jpg

This will be my math area. The bookshelves will have books about math in them. The tables will have tools that support the unit we are working on.

IMAG0177.jpg

This is a work in progress...my calendar wall. The whiteboard to the left will be my objectives and "who are you" board. The one to the left will be - I have no idea - tossing around center groups, schedule of turning in work...still toying with that.

IMAG0169.jpg

This is my awesome find in the basement. It's a two-sided bookshelf. This side has my nonfiction and chapter books.

IMAG0171.jpg

I think this will be the hand in cart. Not sure yet, but I like it there so I will make it work.

IMAG0172.jpg

The bottom shelf are the fairy tales and poetry boxes. The top shelf I am thinking might have paper support for the strategies we are learning...help for reading response journals

IMAG0170.jpg

The rest of my library. The top colored bins are the book baskets.

IMAG0168.jpg

I found these at Target! I am going to be doing "Words Their Way" and these are perfect for the spelling groups. The front will have the spelling words and the group  members. The back will have different activities for the groups to do.

IMAG0174.jpg

my meeting, library area!

Now that I have been band from my classroom for the next week, I have no choice but to work on planning and paperwork!!! Tonight I had myself convinced that I was going to get all the reading stuff done, but that, I think, is not going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment